ACROSS THE HORIZONS NATIONAL NETWORK
- Students achieve, on average, 6-8 weeks of improvement in reading and math over each summer session.
- 97% of Horizons high school students graduate from high school
- 100% of Horizons students learn to swim
- Horizons students acquire tools to help navigate their schools, teachers, and classmates throughout the regular school year.
- Horizons programs become anchors in the community.
Summer 2023 was full of joy at Horizons! Students were busy exploring, creating, trying new things, growing relationships, and building their skills. For the first time, the Horizons Network of 71 programs nationwide supported over 7,000 students in pre-kindergarten through high school, thanks to the hard work of more than 1,500 teachers and staff.
Across Horizons' 71 program sites, 95 percent of student spots were filled. Additionally, programs saw a 72 percent retention rate, meaning that almost 3 out of 4 Horizons students and families returned to the program for another year. Throughout the summer, the average daily attendance rate of all Horizons programs was 88 percent - the highest we have seen since the pandemic.
Horizons programs use STAR Literacy and Math testing to measure students' progress. STAR Data helps Horizons teachers and Reading Specialists understand the needs of their students to help deliver more targeted instruction. Students are tested at the beginning of each summer session and again at the end to determine how much they have grown in early literacy, reading, and math during their 6 weeks with Horizons. This year, students gained an overall average of 8.8 weeks' growth, and students who tested below grade level at the beginning of the summer gained an average of 10.5 weeks' growth!